While people may not be able to put the difference into words, it is typically easy to discern a woman’s face from a man’s. Facial feminization surgery (FFS) focuses on surgically altering the features of the face to change the patient’s appearance from masculine to feminine as part of sex reassignment surgery. To change the masculine face, Oklahoma City cosmetic surgeons, Dr. Erik Nuveen and Dr. Courtney Caplin will combine a group of facial plastic surgeries that will make the features smaller, softer, and less angled. Some of the procedures typically included in facial feminization surgery at Cosmetic Surgery Affiliates include:
- Adam’s Apple Reduction (Tracheal Shave)
- Brow Lift
- Cheek Augmentation
- Chin Recontouring
- Forehead Recontouring (Hairline Correction)
- Jaw Contouring
- Lip Lift and Reshaping
"Would give more stars if I could! Amazing group of people working here and very considerate, helpful, encouraging, and overall I had a even better experience than I could have ever expected. I'm very grateful for their opinions, timeliness, care, and most importantly my surgery outcome! Could not recommend a better plastic surgeon and staff!"- Anonymous / UCompareHealthcare / Nov 20, 2016
"Dr. Caplin is amazing. I had my implants replaced after 15 years and it was a wonderfull experience. I chose to have this procedure done with Dr. Caplin after being referred to this facility by friends. Dr. Caplin is extremly easy to talk to and has an amazing vision of getting you to your goals. The facility is amazing, I was able to do an online consult since I live out of town and had my questions answered by phone and email which was very convienent for myself. Having surgery at their facility was a much better experience than my previous surgery that was performed at a hospital setting. I felt that I had more one on one care from begining to end. I would trust Dr. Caplin with any of the services she offers, she is truly amazing and so approachable and makes you feel completley comfortable about your goals and procedure. Not to leave out the nurses and office staff, everyone was very professional, knowledegable and extremely nice. The best medical experience I have encountered.."- L. / Google / Sep 11, 2017
"I had been looking for a physician to place filler underneath my eyes. This procedure takes a very skilled physician. After getting 4 different consults, I went to see Dr. Caplin. Not only did she place the filler for me perfectly, she was up front and honest about the possible risks, and she listened to every one of my concerns. I would recommend her to anyone!"- J.E. / Google / Aug 28, 2017
"This review only contains a rating"- D.S. / Google / Aug 28, 2017
"Dr. Caplin is the best! After having breast implants for almost 15 years, I made the decision to get them removed. A simple procedure made even easier because Dr. Caplin and the staff made me so comfortable. Then I decided to have laser hair removal with Melissa and I saw results immediately. She explained in detail what steps I needed to take to ensure successful treatments. 5 stars just isn't enough for CSA!"- D.B. / Google / Aug 21, 2017
- Adam’s apple reduction: also known as a tracheal shave, the plastic surgeon carefully removes thyroid cartilage from the neck to reduce or eliminate the Adam’s apple
- Brow lift: a browplasty raises and/or reshapes the eyebrows so they are higher on the face and have a clear arched shape
- Cheek augmentation: the midface can be made fuller with implants or a fat transfer that increases the projection of the cheeks. A cheek reduction can improve cheeks that are too wide or strong
- Chin recontouring: a genioplasty or mentoplasty reduces the width and height of the chin while rounding the shape
- Forehead recontouring/reduction: a feminine hairline tends to be lower, so a forehead reduction (also called a hairline lowering, scalp advancement, hairline correction, or forehead recontouring) moves the hairline to create a shorter forehead
- Jaw contouring: for a more feminine jawline, the jawbone is shaved to make the jaw narrower, shorter, and rounder
- Lip lift and reshaping: to adjust the size and proportion of the upper and lower lips to appear more feminine, the upper lip is reduced and moved higher while the fullness of the lower lip is increased with an implant or fat transfer
- Rhinoplasty: to make a more feminine nose, the length, width, and projection are reduced to best fit the proportions of the patient’s face
Facial feminization surgery can be performed under general or local anesthesia, depending on the procedures that are included in the patient’s plan. The plastic surgeon will perform the chosen procedures at a fully accredited surgical facility using minimal incisions in less visible locations to improve the final result. Patients may be able to go home after their surgery or they may be kept for observation for 1 – 2 nights. Before the patient goes home, the plastic surgeon will schedule a follow up appointment and go over care and recovery instructions, including when the patient can return to work and exercise.
Plan Your Procedure
Visible Facial Scars?
All surgeries require incisions, which leave scars, but for facial feminization, the plastic surgeon will use minimal incisions that are placed in easily concealed or camouflaged areas of the face. The surgeon will also help the patient develop and follow a scar management plan that will ensure the surgical incisions heal quickly and flat. In general, patients consider the benefits they get from facial feminization surgery to be greater than the drawback of small scars.
To improve healing after facial surgery, patients should hold ice packs to their face for a few minutes several times each day. Patients are encouraged to keep their head elevated as much as possible. The plastic surgeon will schedule follow-up appointments after the surgery to check the healing and progress of the patient that should not be missed.
During the patient’s initial consultation, the plastic surgeon will listen to the patient’s needs, concerns, and goals before assessing the face and deciding which procedures will be best in their unique facial feminization surgery. Depending on the patient’s natural face, more or less procedures may be needed to reach the best result.