While people may not be able to put the difference into words, it is typically easy to discern a woman’s face from a man’s. Facial feminization surgery (FFS) focuses on surgically altering the features of the face to change the patient’s appearance from masculine to feminine as part of sex reassignment surgery. To change the masculine face, Oklahoma City cosmetic surgeons, Dr. Erik Nuveen and Dr. Courtney Caplin will combine a group of facial plastic surgeries that will make the features smaller, softer, and less angled. Some of the procedures typically included in facial feminization surgery at Cosmetic Surgery Affiliates include:
- Adam’s Apple Reduction (Tracheal Shave)
- Brow Lift
- Cheek Augmentation
- Chin Recontouring
- Forehead Recontouring (Hairline Correction)
- Jaw Contouring
- Lip Lift and Reshaping
"Would give more stars if I could! Amazing group of people working here and very considerate, helpful, encouraging, and overall I had a even better experience than I could have ever expected. I'm very grateful for their opinions, timeliness, care, and most importantly my surgery outcome! Could not recommend a better plastic surgeon and staff!"- Anonymous / UCompareHealthcare / Nov 20, 2016
"Very professional staff with the highest regard for their patients. Highly recommend!"- L.P. / Yellowpages / May 14, 2019
"There is so much greatness to be said about my experience here, this little comment section will not due enough justice to what I need to express...so I'm just going to make a YouTube video😂......but to start, Dr. Courtney Caplin was my surgeon, she did her thang on my full tummy tuck and lipo! But these are the most personable, caring and down to earth surgeons that I have ever did a consult with, Im so Thankful that God put them in my path. The Bedside manner of Courtney is... above and beyond, I stayed at the overnight recovery center and let me tell you it was nice, first I had my husband and my two teenage boys with me, we are a close knit family so they all wanted to be with me, Do you know the staff had no problems with my two boys staying over with me and my husband😳...they made them feel so welcomed and at home, the girls even pulled out a blow up bed for them!!! The evening after my surgery Courtney came into the recovery room before going home and that's when I met Dr.Nuveen, he helped her put me in my compression garment...he talked to my husband and my boys and even took my oldest son to show him where extra sheets was if they needed them!!! ❤️ This place! I'm 11 days post op today and feel good, this waist is 👌🏾😜 popping...(minus the swelling..lol)"- O.H. / Facebook / May 11, 2019
"I would just like to take a min to thank dr naveen for going above and beyond to make sure I’m happy with my body. I have always had insecurities with my body and I haven’t been the easiest procedure. Back story, I use to be 300lbs and very unhappy with my hips. The way my body carries its weight it has caused many back issues. Dr Naveen is making sure to fix the weight pulling on my spin. We have another procedure coming up where he will be helping to remove and fix some issues after procedure one. He will do whatever it takes to make sure you’re happy!!! That right there wins me over!!!"- K.C. / Google / May 10, 2019
"I loved the staff, Dr. Caplin was amazing. they really do listen to what you want and make you feel so much comfort and they do their best to accommodate your needs. After all a very wonderful experience. Definitely will go back for other procedures in the future. I really do recommend them ❤"- D.V. / Google / May 09, 2019
- Adam’s apple reduction: also known as a tracheal shave, the plastic surgeon carefully removes thyroid cartilage from the neck to reduce or eliminate the Adam’s apple
- Brow lift: a browplasty raises and/or reshapes the eyebrows so they are higher on the face and have a clear arched shape
- Cheek augmentation: the midface can be made fuller with implants or a fat transfer that increases the projection of the cheeks. A cheek reduction can improve cheeks that are too wide or strong
- Chin recontouring: a genioplasty or mentoplasty reduces the width and height of the chin while rounding the shape
- Forehead recontouring/reduction: a feminine hairline tends to be lower, so a forehead reduction (also called a hairline lowering, scalp advancement, hairline correction, or forehead recontouring) moves the hairline to create a shorter forehead
- Jaw contouring: for a more feminine jawline, the jawbone is shaved to make the jaw narrower, shorter, and rounder
- Lip lift and reshaping: to adjust the size and proportion of the upper and lower lips to appear more feminine, the upper lip is reduced and moved higher while the fullness of the lower lip is increased with an implant or fat transfer
- Rhinoplasty: to make a more feminine nose, the length, width, and projection are reduced to best fit the proportions of the patient’s face
Facial feminization surgery can be performed under general or local anesthesia, depending on the procedures that are included in the patient’s plan. The plastic surgeon will perform the chosen procedures at a fully accredited surgical facility using minimal incisions in less visible locations to improve the final result. Patients may be able to go home after their surgery or they may be kept for observation for 1 – 2 nights. Before the patient goes home, the plastic surgeon will schedule a follow up appointment and go over care and recovery instructions, including when the patient can return to work and exercise.
Plan Your Procedure
Visible Facial Scars?
All surgeries require incisions, which leave scars, but for facial feminization, the plastic surgeon will use minimal incisions that are placed in easily concealed or camouflaged areas of the face. The surgeon will also help the patient develop and follow a scar management plan that will ensure the surgical incisions heal quickly and flat. In general, patients consider the benefits they get from facial feminization surgery to be greater than the drawback of small scars.
To improve healing after facial surgery, patients should hold ice packs to their face for a few minutes several times each day. Patients are encouraged to keep their head elevated as much as possible. The plastic surgeon will schedule follow-up appointments after the surgery to check the healing and progress of the patient that should not be missed.
During the patient’s initial consultation, the plastic surgeon will listen to the patient’s needs, concerns, and goals before assessing the face and deciding which procedures will be best in their unique facial feminization surgery. Depending on the patient’s natural face, more or less procedures may be needed to reach the best result.