While people may not be able to put the difference into words, it is typically easy to discern a woman’s face from a man’s. Facial feminization surgery (FFS) focuses on surgically altering the features of the face to change the patient’s appearance from masculine to feminine as part of sex reassignment surgery. To change the masculine face, Oklahoma City cosmetic surgeons, Dr. Erik Nuveen and Dr. Courtney Caplin will combine a group of facial plastic surgeries that will make the features smaller, softer, and less angled. Some of the procedures typically included in facial feminization surgery at Cosmetic Surgery Affiliates include:
- Adam’s Apple Reduction (Tracheal Shave)
- Brow Lift
- Cheek Augmentation
- Chin Recontouring
- Forehead Recontouring (Hairline Correction)
- Jaw Contouring
- Lip Lift and Reshaping
Facial Feminization Surgery Reviews
"I saw Dr. Nuveen for FFS, and all I have to say is wow! Dr. Nuveen and all of the staff as a whole always listened to me and went above and beyond to make me feel comfortable, discussing everything every step of the way. They were always there to answer questions both pre and post-op, even on weekends. The results were fantastic as well, and if I ever had another surgery in the future, I would definitely go back to Dr. Nuveen and his expert staff. I wish I could give more than 5 stars, and I highly recommend anyone looking for a highly trained team to reach out here."- E.S. / Google / Aug 28, 2019
- Adam’s apple reduction: also known as a tracheal shave, the plastic surgeon carefully removes thyroid cartilage from the neck to reduce or eliminate the Adam’s apple
- Brow lift: a browplasty raises and/or reshapes the eyebrows so they are higher on the face and have a clear arched shape
- Cheek augmentation: the midface can be made fuller with implants or a fat transfer that increases the projection of the cheeks. A cheek reduction can improve cheeks that are too wide or strong
- Chin recontouring: a genioplasty or mentoplasty reduces the width and height of the chin while rounding the shape
- Forehead recontouring/reduction: a feminine hairline tends to be lower, so a forehead reduction (also called a hairline lowering, scalp advancement, hairline correction, or forehead recontouring) moves the hairline to create a shorter forehead
- Jaw contouring: for a more feminine jawline, the jawbone is shaved to make the jaw narrower, shorter, and rounder
- Lip lift and reshaping: to adjust the size and proportion of the upper and lower lips to appear more feminine, the upper lip is reduced and moved higher while the fullness of the lower lip is increased with an implant or fat transfer
- Rhinoplasty: to make a more feminine nose, the length, width, and projection are reduced to best fit the proportions of the patient’s face
Facial feminization surgery can be performed under general or local anesthesia, depending on the procedures that are included in the patient’s plan. The plastic surgeon will perform the chosen procedures at a fully accredited surgical facility using minimal incisions in less visible locations to improve the final result. Patients may be able to go home after their surgery or they may be kept for observation for 1 – 2 nights. Before the patient goes home, the plastic surgeon will schedule a follow up appointment and go over care and recovery instructions, including when the patient can return to work and exercise.
Plan Your Procedure
Visible Facial Scars?
All surgeries require incisions, which leave scars, but for facial feminization, the plastic surgeon will use minimal incisions that are placed in easily concealed or camouflaged areas of the face. The surgeon will also help the patient develop and follow a scar management plan that will ensure the surgical incisions heal quickly and flat. In general, patients consider the benefits they get from facial feminization surgery to be greater than the drawback of small scars.
To improve healing after facial surgery, patients should hold ice packs to their face for a few minutes several times each day. Patients are encouraged to keep their head elevated as much as possible. The plastic surgeon will schedule follow-up appointments after the surgery to check the healing and progress of the patient that should not be missed.
During the patient’s initial consultation, the plastic surgeon will listen to the patient’s needs, concerns, and goals before assessing the face and deciding which procedures will be best in their unique facial feminization surgery. Depending on the patient’s natural face, more or less procedures may be needed to reach the best result.