Comparing Breast Augmentation and Breast Lift Procedures
Surgical enhancements of the breasts are among the most popular types of cosmetic surgeries, particularly among women who are planning a mommy makeover. Before you make treatment decisions with the help of your surgeon, you should know the differences between breast augmentation and breast lift procedures.
Reasons for the Procedures
Breast augmentation and lift surgeries accomplish two different, but related goals. An augmentation involves increasing the volume or size of the breasts. It can also restore a round shape, or improve existing breast asymmetry. A breast lift, or mastopexy, does not add volume or size, and it doesn’t enhance the round shape of the upper portion of the breast. It only elevates the breasts to create a more youthful profile . In some cases, the surgeon may also reduce the size of the areola during a lift procedure. Women who wish to accomplish both types of aesthetic goals may consider having both procedures done at the same time.
Candidates for the Procedures
Cosmetic surgeons carefully evaluate each patient to determine if she’s a candidate for cosmetic surgery. For either type of surgery, patients should:
- Meet any minimum age requirements
- Have breasts that are fully developed
- Be in good overall health
- Be a non-smoker
- Have reasonable expectations for the outcome
- Not be pregnant or breastfeeding
In addition, a surgeon will assess the patient’s aesthetic concerns and preferences, and develop a corresponding treatment plan. A woman may be a good candidate for a breast lift if she:
- Is dissatisfied with the droopiness or sagging of the breasts
- Has elongated breasts
- Has nipples that fall below the breast crease when not supported
- Has nipples and areolas that point toward the floor
- Has enlarged areolas and stretched skin
A woman may be a good candidate for a breast augmentation if she:
- Is unhappy with the current size of her breasts
- Has lost breast volume or shape because of pregnancy or dramatic weight loss
- Has asymmetrical breasts
- Is dissatisfied with the shape or volume of the upper part of the breasts
Cosmetic Surgery Affiliates is on a mission to give our patients the artistic results they want with the personalized, attentive service they deserve. Our cosmetic surgeons routinely perform breast lifts and breast augmentations in our Oklahoma City, OK facility, along with combined procedures. Call (405) 546-2702 to request a consult today.