Looking only at the face (without factors like hair, makeup, and facial hair), people can almost always detect whether a person is male or female. This is why facial masculinization is an important step in the transition from female to male. To get a more masculine face, certain facial plastic surgery procedures can be performed to enhance the brow, enlarge the nose, strengthen the jaw and chin, and build up the Adam’s apple. During the patient’s consultation, cosmetic surgeons Dr Erik Nuveen and Dr. Courtney Caplin will assess the patient’s face and explain which procedures they recommend and how they will make the face look more masculine. Patients at Cosmetic Surgery Affiliates in Oklahoma City can have several facial surgeries performed at once or they can have them one at a time, but this will require more time under anesthesia and a longer total recovery time. Some of the facial plastic surgeries that are often included in facial masculinization surgery include:
- FTM Adam’s Apple Surgery (Thyroid Cartilage Enhancement)
- Cheek Augmentation
- Chin Recontouring (Genioplasty/Mentoplasty)
- Forehead Lengthening and Augmentation
- Jaw Contouring (Jaw Reshaping)
- Rhinoplasty (Nasal Augmentation)
"Would give more stars if I could! Amazing group of people working here and very considerate, helpful, encouraging, and overall I had a even better experience than I could have ever expected. I'm very grateful for their opinions, timeliness, care, and most importantly my surgery outcome! Could not recommend a better plastic surgeon and staff!"- Anonymous / UCompareHealthcare / Nov 20, 2016
"The staff is very friendly and Dr Nuveene is excellent. They explain everything and if something isn't right they fix it for you. I'd recommend them and have to my friends"- S.F. / Google / Sep 11, 2020
"Very happy with the care I received!"- J.B. / Healthgrades / Sep 04, 2020
"I came to Dr Nuveen for a breast lift/reduction with a new smaller implant. I could not be happier with the results, the staff were extremely sweet and professional. I will recommend them to everyone!"- S.B. / Google / Sep 01, 2020
"I had the most wonderful experience with Dr. Nuveen and his staff this week. I flew in from LA just to have him be the one to give me my breast augmentation and I’m so glad I did. He gave me recommendations that he thought would make me feel most comfortable and confident and he listened thoughtfully to what I wanted. I feel like everyone went above and beyond to make sure I felt comfortable and listened to. From the consult and pre-op and sedation experience to the day after check up, I knew I was in the best hands and I felt cared for. They thought of every little thing! The staff even contacted me during my first day after surgery to ensure I was doing well. If I ever give a cosmetic surgery recommendation to anyone, this will be the place. I am ecstatic and the service was WELL worth the trip. To fly from Beverly Hills, a center of plastic surgery, all the way to Oklahoma for this procedure should speak volumes as to how wonderful Cosmetic Surgery Affiliates is. Thank you Dr. Nuveen and staff!"- K.D. / Google / Aug 26, 2020
- Adam’s apple surgery: also known as thyroid cartilage enhancement, the plastic surgeon will use an implant or cartilage transplant to the front of the vocal cord to create the appearance of an Adam’s apple in the throat
- Cheek augmentation: to make the cheeks more angled and less round, the plastic surgeon will place cheek implants that are sized and shaped to give the patient a more masculine midface shape
- Chin recontouring: to make the chin longer and more square, the chin can be altered without an implant (genioplasty or mentoplasty) or an implant can be used to strengthen the chin
- Forehead Lengthening and Augmentation: for a more prominent brow and longer forehead, the plastic surgeon can use an implant to create a strong brow ridge and a brow lift to lengthen the forehead
- Jaw contouring: the male jaw is typically wider and has sharper angles than the female jaw, so the plastic surgeon may reshape the jawbone or use implants to reshape the jaw
- Rhinoplasty: for a more masculine nose, the plastic surgeon will augment and reshape the nose to increase the width and projection of the nose while keeping it in proportion to the rest of the face
Facial masculinization surgery is typically performed under general anesthesia in an accredited surgical facility as an inpatient or outpatient surgery, depending on the procedure or procedures being performed. If multiple procedures are being performed, the plastic surgeon may group them into multiple surgeries for patient safety and best results. The plastic surgeon will make minimal incisions in the least visible place to prevent highly visible scars. After the surgery, the doctor will go over recovery instructions, including how long to rest, the healing process, normal side effects, what to watch for, scar care, and tips for a faster recovery.
Plan Your Procedure
The male skull is larger than the female skull, which cannot be changed surgically, but facial masculinization can be used to make the face more angular and appear larger. Each patient will have different needs, but the general goal of facial masculinization surgery is to make the face appear larger, longer, and more angular. The plastic surgeon will help each patient understand the procedures that will give them maximum impact and their best results.
To further enhance the face, BOTOX® can be used to lower and flatten the brow bone which will make the eyebrows more masculine. Hair-restoration surgery can also be used to create facial hair. Injectable dermal fillers, like Juvéderm® or Restylane® can be used to show the patient how facial implants will help before they commit to augmentation surgery.
Many patients use hormone therapy to increase their testosterone production, which will lead to more masculine facial features, but facial masculinization surgery can customize the features to fit the patient’s needs and goals. FMS can greatly improve the patient’s self-esteem and confidence, as well as their appearance.
How old do I need to be to transition and what options exist while I decide?
When gender dysphoria begins and how to treat it are controversial subjects.Read
An Opportunity for Equality for All People, especially during Co-vid 19
As June is Pride month, let’s take a moment to reflect on healthcare equality for all people.Read
Multi-disciplinary approach to the transitioning patient.
Teamwork makes the dream work! Learn how multidisciplinary teams work together to help the transitioning patient.Read