Looking only at the face (without factors like hair, makeup, and facial hair), people can almost always detect whether a person is male or female. This is why facial masculinization is an important step in the transition from female to male. To get a more masculine face, certain facial plastic surgery procedures can be performed to enhance the brow, enlarge the nose, strengthen the jaw and chin, and build up the Adam’s apple. During the patient’s consultation, cosmetic surgeons Dr Erik Nuveen and Dr. Courtney Caplin will assess the patient’s face and explain which procedures they recommend and how they will make the face look more masculine. Patients at Cosmetic Surgery Affiliates in Oklahoma City can have several facial surgeries performed at once or they can have them one at a time, but this will require more time under anesthesia and a longer total recovery time. Some of the facial plastic surgeries that are often included in facial masculinization surgery include:
- FTM Adam’s Apple Surgery (Thyroid Cartilage Enhancement)
- Cheek Augmentation
- Chin Recontouring (Genioplasty/Mentoplasty)
- Forehead Lengthening and Augmentation
- Jaw Contouring (Jaw Reshaping)
- Rhinoplasty (Nasal Augmentation)
"Would give more stars if I could! Amazing group of people working here and very considerate, helpful, encouraging, and overall I had a even better experience than I could have ever expected. I'm very grateful for their opinions, timeliness, care, and most importantly my surgery outcome! Could not recommend a better plastic surgeon and staff!"- Anonymous / UCompareHealthcare / Nov 20, 2016
"I absolutely loved my experience with CSA.. Each person seems to truly care about you & your comfort!! Dr Nuveen is the most intelligent & caring I’ve met!! Thank you!! Mitzi!! Thank you! Sonia! Thank you! Lilly!! Thank you! Go here for any of your needs!! You are welcome!!! 🤗"- D.E. / Google / Jan 27, 2021
"I had breast implants that were over 30 years old. I was concerned that there could possibly be something wrong with them. Three years ago, Dr. Caplin replaced them. It was a difficult surgery apparently because of scar tissue on the right side. She had to remove a lot of tissue because of that. Dr. Caplin did a fantastic job of making them look the same size and was able to also do it without a lift. I am 60, and they look fabulous. I would recommend her to anyone. Looking forward to hopefully a face lift sometime soon there at CSA. Awesome staff, the nurses made me feel very secure."- K.C. / Google / Jan 27, 2021
"Dr. Nuveen is great, the entire staff took excellent care of me and I am SO pleased with my results! I would recommend to anyone."- E.H. / Google / Jan 21, 2021
"I had a full face lift and it was great. Wish it would have lasted longer. Thinking on chemical peel! They were fantastic both before and after. Highly recommend"- C.D. / Google / Jan 21, 2021
- Adam’s apple surgery: also known as thyroid cartilage enhancement, the plastic surgeon will use an implant or cartilage transplant to the front of the vocal cord to create the appearance of an Adam’s apple in the throat
- Cheek augmentation: to make the cheeks more angled and less round, the plastic surgeon will place cheek implants that are sized and shaped to give the patient a more masculine midface shape
- Chin recontouring: to make the chin longer and more square, the chin can be altered without an implant (genioplasty or mentoplasty) or an implant can be used to strengthen the chin
- Forehead Lengthening and Augmentation: for a more prominent brow and longer forehead, the plastic surgeon can use an implant to create a strong brow ridge and a brow lift to lengthen the forehead
- Jaw contouring: the male jaw is typically wider and has sharper angles than the female jaw, so the plastic surgeon may reshape the jawbone or use implants to reshape the jaw
- Rhinoplasty: for a more masculine nose, the plastic surgeon will augment and reshape the nose to increase the width and projection of the nose while keeping it in proportion to the rest of the face
Facial masculinization surgery is typically performed under general anesthesia in an accredited surgical facility as an inpatient or outpatient surgery, depending on the procedure or procedures being performed. If multiple procedures are being performed, the plastic surgeon may group them into multiple surgeries for patient safety and best results. The plastic surgeon will make minimal incisions in the least visible place to prevent highly visible scars. After the surgery, the doctor will go over recovery instructions, including how long to rest, the healing process, normal side effects, what to watch for, scar care, and tips for a faster recovery.
Plan Your Procedure
The male skull is larger than the female skull, which cannot be changed surgically, but facial masculinization can be used to make the face more angular and appear larger. Each patient will have different needs, but the general goal of facial masculinization surgery is to make the face appear larger, longer, and more angular. The plastic surgeon will help each patient understand the procedures that will give them maximum impact and their best results.
To further enhance the face, BOTOX® can be used to lower and flatten the brow bone which will make the eyebrows more masculine. Hair-restoration surgery can also be used to create facial hair. Injectable dermal fillers, like Juvéderm® or Restylane® can be used to show the patient how facial implants will help before they commit to augmentation surgery.
Many patients use hormone therapy to increase their testosterone production, which will lead to more masculine facial features, but facial masculinization surgery can customize the features to fit the patient’s needs and goals. FMS can greatly improve the patient’s self-esteem and confidence, as well as their appearance.
How old do I need to be to transition and what options exist while I decide?
When gender dysphoria begins and how to treat it are controversial subjects.Read
An Opportunity for Equality for All People, especially during Co-vid 19
As June is Pride month, let’s take a moment to reflect on healthcare equality for all people.Read
Multi-disciplinary approach to the transitioning patient.
Teamwork makes the dream work! Learn how multidisciplinary teams work together to help the transitioning patient.Read