GOOD MORNING, SUNSHINE! SKIN BARRIER RESTORATION
Our Skincare GURU, and Licensed Aesthetician Anne Parker, has worked in Medical Aesthetics for 19 years in the Oklahoma City area, and would love to help you with your skin concerns! We recently received a new product (GOOD MORNING, SUNSHINE!), which got us thinking about a healthy skin barrier.
Thankfully, Anne was on-hand to answer a few questions that we routinely get.
Q: What is the Skin Barrier?
- The skin barrier is the most superficial layer of the epidermis. Its main purpose is keeping moisture in and harmful substances from penetrating.
Q: What should a healthy skin barrier look like?
- The skin is plump, hydrated, and healthy-looking.
Q: What happens when the skin barrier is compromised?
- Irritation, dryness, redness, moisture loss and dehydration. The skin will also tend to be more sensitive, causing discoloration and blemishes.
Q: What can cause barrier damage?
- Over-cleansing, over-exfoliation, pollution/sun damage, bad air quality, stress, lack of sleep, and diet.
Q: How can I repair my damaged skin barrier?
- Use a gentle cleanser.
- Use moisturizers that contain ceramide, niacinamide and hyaluronic acid, which hydrate the skin.
- Keep skin care simple for several weeks (cleanse/hydrate/moisturize)
- You will start to notice your skin is not as sensitive and reactive. It will look plump, hydrated, and have a healthy glow. Then, gradually re-introduce your products that have active ingredients. (Active ingredients are products containing: Retinol, any lightening/brightening products, hydroxy acid (AHA/BHA) products, glycolic acid products—pretty much stay away from anything with acids!
Here are a few products we offer at CSA that can help strengthen your skin barrier:
Dr. Courtney's Skincare: OMG Lux Moisturizer and Thirsty Skin Serum. You can check them out and purchase HERE. (Also check out GOOD MORNING, SUNSHINE! Serum, which we just got in, and cannot say enough good things about! It improves fine lines/wrinkles, loss of volume, and overall complexion and radiance. Like I said…ALL the good things!)
SkinMedica: HA-5, Dermal Repair, and Recovery Complex. You can check them out and purchase HERE. (BONUS: HA-5 is 15% off the entire month of April!)
If you have any questions or concerns about your skin and/or skincare, we promise to share Anne with you!
Aesthetic consultations are FREE.