Will I Need to Wear Special Garments After A Mommy Makeover?
Have you just gone through a mommy makeover or are considering one to regain your pre-baby body? If so, you probably have some questions and concerns. One of those questions might be whether you need to wear a special garment after surgery in Oklahoma City, OK.
In this guide, triple board-certified cosmetic surgeons Dr. Erik Nuveen and Dr. Courtney Caplin will discuss what to expect after body contouring and the importance of compression garments. Call now to meet with one of our knowledgeable and experienced professionals at Cosmetic Surgery Affiliates.
What is a mommy makeover?
A mommy makeover refers to a combination of cosmetic surgeries to help women regain their pre-pregnancy shape. It typically includes breast augmentation, tummy tuck, and liposuction. They are personalized to suit the individual needs and desired outcomes of each patient.
Surgeries are performed under general anesthesia and generally last 3 – 7 hours. Patients may need to stay at the hospital overnight, depending on the extent of their procedures. Mommy makeover recovery time varies, although most women return to work in several weeks. Full recovery may take up to six months.
Wearing a compression garment after a mommy makeover
After a mommy makeover, it is common for patients to experience swelling and discomfort in the treated areas. To help with recovery and improve results in Oklahoma City, OK, a compression garment is highly recommended. Here's why:
- Improved comfort: Compression garments provide comfort by supporting your newly contoured body and alleviating some of the discomfort that occurs after surgery.
- Reduced swelling: Swelling is a common side effect of any body contouring surgery, and mommy makeovers are no exception. Compression garments manage swelling by applying gentle pressure to the operated areas. They promote proper blood flow and speed up the healing process.
- Enhanced healing: Compression garments help with wound healing by keeping the incisions closed and minimizing movement in the treated areas. This can lead to a faster and more seamless mommy makeover recovery.
Wearing other special garments after a mommy makeover
Aside from a compression garment, Dr. Nuveen or Dr. Caplin may suggest additional garments following a mommy makeover. For example, a post-surgical bra can help maintain the shape of the breasts and improve healing. Do not wear any undergarments that may irritate the incisions, such as bras with an underwire.
Everyone has a different recovery process, and the type of garment needed varies, depending on your case. Follow any post-mommy makeover guidelines carefully, and communicate any concerns or discomfort you may experience.
Choosing the right garments
During a consultation, Cosmetic Surgery Affiliates will provide information about the best compression garments suited for your mommy makeover recovery. Some factors we consider when selecting these garments:
- Material: Opt for high-quality fabrics that are breathable, moisture-wicking, and seamless for maximum comfort and support.
- Fit: The garment should fit snugly without causing discomfort or restricting your breathing. It must also adequately cover the treatment areas.
- Closure: Look for garments that have convenient and secure closures to facilitate easy dressing and undressing.
Learn about post-surgical care
Wearing special garments, like a compression garment, is crucial to your recovery. Triple board-certified cosmetic surgeons Dr. Erik Nuveen and Dr. Courtney Caplin understand the need for proper post-mommy makeover care. Don't hesitate to ask questions to stay fully informed throughout your body contouring journey. Cosmetic Surgery Affiliates in Oklahoma City, OK can provide help at every step.