What To Expect Before & After An Injectables Appointment
Needles in My Face!
A Practical Guide of What to Expect Before & After Your Injectables Appointment
As a horror film buff, the thought of having needles anywhere near my face is straight-up nightmare fuel. For others, it is akin to asserting dominance over both Mother Nature and gravity to keep the face youthful and vibrant. To each their own. I sat down with our Amazing Ginger Injector, Jamie Stokes APR-N, to see if she could give me some helpful tips to help minimize discomfort for these appointments. Jamie had a lot of helpful information! Hopefully, it can help you prepare and recover quicker from injectable appointments.
Filler Pre-Treatment Instructions
• For optimal results, and to minimize the chance of bleeding or bruising at the injection site, please avoid all blood-thinning medications and supplements for one week prior to your appointment if approved by your primary care provider. This includes over-the-counter medications such as aspirin and NSAIDS (Motrin, ibuprofen, and Aleve). Also avoid herbal supplements such as garlic, vitamin E, ginkgo biloba, St. John's Wort, ginseng, green tea, ginger, and omega 3/fish oil capsules. If you have a cardiovascular history, please check with your doctor prior to stopping use of aspirin!
• Inform your injector if you have a history of cold sores to receive advice on antiviral therapy prior to treatment.
• Avoid skincare products that include “active” acids like Retinols, Glycolic Acid, Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA), or Beta Hydroxy Acid/Salicylic Acids (for acne), for two days before and after treatment.
• Do not drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours before or after your treatment to avoid extra bruising.
Filler Post-Treatment Instructions
• Avoid significant movement or massage of the treated area unless instructed by provider.
• Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours.
• Avoid extensive sun or heat for 72 hours.
• Avoid consuming excess amounts of alcohol or salts to avoid excessive swelling.
• If you have swelling, you may apply a cool compress for 15 minutes each hour.
• Try to sleep face up and slightly elevated if you experience swelling.
• You may take Arnica to help the bruising and swelling. Begin taking at least two days prior to injections.
• Wait a minimum of two weeks before having skin care or laser treatments.
Botox®/Dysport®/Jeuveau® Post-Treatment Instruction
• Your results will begin in 2-3 days and may take up to two weeks for you to experience the full effect of your treatment. It takes time for the movement to soften and the lines to fade. Remain patient!
• Bruises are possible with BOTOX® /Dysport®/Jeuveau® treatments. Applying ice and taking Arnica for 4-8 days post treatment will help minimize bruising and promote faster healing.
• Bumps at the site of injection are normal. This is because the BOTOX®/Dysport®/Jeuveau® is laying under the skin waiting to be absorbed by the muscle. These bumps go away within 30-45 minutes post-treatment.
• Avoid bending, lifting, or lying down for 4 hours.
• No exercise for 24 hours.
• No face down massages or facials for 24 hours.
• Do not touch your face or the injection areas for 4 hours.
• If you need to reapply makeup, use a new, clean sponge or brush for application to avoid introducing bacteria into the area.
Hopefully, these tips will help minimize any apprehension before, and discomfort after your injection appointment. Despite any preconceived notions, your injector does not want to cause you pain, and will be happy to talk about what can help you afterwards. And hey, if you chicken out (no judgement here!), I am happy to recommend some great horror films!